Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Authentic Self, Where Art Thou?


In between clients and on one of my longer commutes I began reading an article in my Yoga Journal about mistaken identity and finding your "true self". I thought this was a wonderfully written article and it touched on so many important points that I feel inclined to share.

What's True Self?  If you were to take away the exterior elements, like looks, status, gender, job title, sexual preference, age….that would be your true self…your authentic self. But that is easier said then done. For most of us, our "training" in who we are and who we are supposed to be starts at a very early age. We learn the importance of wealth, looks, socially acceptable behavior and gender approval. These things are important to most of us, sure, but they don't define us. So what does? How do we find our true self under all the weight of what we have been brainwashed to believe is who we are?

If you peel away the exteriors, calm the buzz of voices that surround you, and look deeper within yourself for that something that is unchanging, that voice that is crystal clear to you and only you...then you have found your true self, your authentic self. If you can recognize this, if you can feed this part of you love and good energy, then no matter what you will be okay with YOU.

Reading that article and in writing this blog I recognize that I, myself have struggled with this. I believe we all do. I believe that many of us can state that they know who they are...I know I have made that statement in the past too, but I wonder how deep that really goes. If someone were to ask me who I am my initial reaction is; 33 year old, single mom to a beautiful 3 year old, vegan, personal trainer, yogi, holistic health counselor, living in NYC. Ha! That's the right answer, right? Yes, all this things make up the beautiful coat of who I am and what I have accomplished, but if you take them all away...I still exist. I am still searching for my true self, my authentic self. I have started to learn what that is for me, but I don't think I have all the answers yet, and that's okay. I am still working on calming those voices, finding the quiet where I can reach within. Yoga helps with this. 

I encourage you to take time each day to find some quiet, some calm, where you too can breathe and start to peel away the layers and look deeper into who you truly are. The True You, the Authentic You. I wish you all the best in your venture.

Namaste

*If you wish to read the Yoga Journal Article mentioned above, here it is: http://www.yogajournal.com/wisdom/2643







1 comment:

  1. I have been on a journey to discover the "true me" for awhile now. It can be a difficult journey because it requires a deep look inside which is something many of us don't want to do. Cut yourself some slack and love up on yourself when you feel like you're failing on your journey...you can't get it wrong...just keep going.

    ReplyDelete