Saturday, August 25, 2012

Eat Like A God/Goddess on a Budget!

It's no secret to most of my friends and family that I am an avid vegan and vegan supporter. I love how I feel morally and health wise. I eat a super healthy diet packed with nutrients and yes protein and never feel sick or deprived by my choices. I can also bench press a 160 lb  person if need be...just sayin'.

What I find interesting is that the most popular question that comes my way, other then the typical "how do you get your protein" question, is how do I afford it? To be honest, when I eat out I am lucky to live in such a metropolitan of choices. However, I cook a lot at home, by myself or with my boyfriend. For the most part we don't eat processed or what's often called "fake" meat. My fridge is stocked with fresh veggies and fruits and my cupboards full of whole grains like brown rice and quinoa. Yes, I food shop often, but my total grocery bill per week is fairly low compared to those stocking up on processed foods like boxed cereals, chips, cookies, pre-made lunchables (gross!) and the like. The key is to stay away from that crap. 

Sure, we are all busy and convenience is what we all thrive for, but at what cost? Your health? Your family's health? Take the time to prepare a meal with a little love and patience. Stay away from those middle isles in the grocery store piled high with sugar and preservatives. And if you think you can't hack it on a tight budget, think again.

Check out the Environmental Working Group. This organization has made it easy for you by  putting together a list of 100 inexpensive foods that are high in nutrients and contain little to no pesticides, contaminants, and artificial ingredients.

SO, Stop the excuses. Get Healthy!!

1 comment:

  1. I love this - it always stuns me how little attention people pay to what they fuel their bodies with. Glad to have found your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete